In the lead up to National Law Week 2016*, Logan community legal centre, YFS Legal is reporting an increased demand for its services.
YFS Principal Solicitor, Natasha Ristic said the first quarter of 2016 saw a 6.5% increase in the number of clients assisted, including a small rise in their generalist legal advice and criminal law case work.
YFS Legal provides information, advice and community legal education sessions for all ages. It specialises in providing legal representation for clients 10-25 years of age who find themselves needing help with criminal law matters.
Since January 2016 YFS Legal has assisted 675 individuals. In that time, YFS Legal provided 509 legal advice sessions; represented 199 young clients in the Children’s and Magistrates Courts and published and presented 19 community legal education sessions.
“Overall, 2016 has seen YFS Legal also experience a significantly higher demand for civil advice, particularly in the areas of employment, tenancy, wills and estates,” Ms Ristic said.
“This growing demand for legal assistance gives us an insight into how difficult it is to navigate our legal system, especially for young people who are extremely vulnerable and at risk of regular exposure to the criminal justice system,” she said.
“YFS Legal is dedicated to promoting social equality and ensuring that young people are represented when encountering the criminal justice system. Otherwise, young people are more likely to come into contact with the police and the courts as result,” she said.
YFS Legal also provides:
- a fortnightly duty lawyer service at the Beenleigh Children’s Court on Monday mornings
- one-off free legal advice appointments on family, civil, employment, tenancy and criminal law matters
- family law advice fortnightly at the Family Relationship Centre in Logan
- legal advice sessions from our offices at Slacks Creek and Browns Plains and the Beenleigh Neighbourhood Centre.
If you require more information on our services or require some legal advice please contact YFS Legal on 3826 1500 to book an appointment.
* Law Week is an annual national event which creates further understanding of the role that law and justice plays in today’s society. This year, Law Week runs May 16-20.