You are currently viewing Tenancy and the law
  • Post author:
  • Post category:News
  • Post comments:0 Comments

The Logan Reporter, Friday 11th December 2015

By: Helen Perry
YFS Solicitor

Kayla wants to rent a house. What are some important things to know?

When you start renting you should be given a Form 18a- General tenancy agreement (lease). You and the landlord must sign the agreement and you should be given a copy.

You should know if it is a:

•Fixed term agreement (has a start date and finish date), or

•Periodic agreement (flexible amount of time).

The tenant pays a security deposit amount called a rental bond (usually four weeks rent).

The bond is sent by the lessor/agent to the Residential Tenancy Authority (RTA).

The RTA will hold your bond and you must sign a Form 2 and the lessor/agent will give you a copy as well as a receipt.

The bond should be refunded to you at the end of the tenancy if there is no damage other than ‘fair wear and tear’.

The Refund of rental bond (Form 4) must be lodged to get your bond back from the RTA. Faxed, emailed or photocopied forms are not accepted. You can lodge the form online, post or give to the RTA in person.

Why is the Entry Condition Report so important?

The Entry Condition Report is very important (Form 1a). You must complete and sign within 3 days and the lessor/agent must give you a copy of the final report within 14 days. You must note all damage or problems you find before you start renting. This document needs to be kept in a safe place.

Please note this is legal information only, if you require more information on our services or legal advice, please contact YFS Legal on 3826 1500 to book an appointment.